You are what you wear.
YOU ARE WHAT YOU WEAR!
Did you know that it is said that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish!
Did you also know that the vast majority of plastic waste in our oceans is actually abandoned fishing nets?
A survey by scientists with Ocean Cleanup, an organisation working to develop technologies to reduce ocean plastic, found that at least 46 percent of the plastic in the "Great pacific garbage patch," a floating gyre the size of France made up of plastic, comes from fishing nets. It’s worth noting that miscellaneous discarded fishing gear makes up the majority of the rest.
World Animal Protection reports that 640,000 tons of gear are lost and pollute oceans each year. But this abandoned fishing gear goes well beyond pollution. “Ghost nets,” for example, are a danger to marine habitats and sea life. In 2016 there were 71 reported cases of whales caught in abandoned fishing nets off the U.S. Pacific coast.
While many restaurants have started to ban plastic straws and have also started moving away from using plastic all together... it is a joint effort that everyone needs to pitch into in order to make a larger scale difference! Do your part and urge the California Legislature to ban drift nets by clicking HERE.
What actions are we taking to do our part here at Indigo?
1) Using 100% ECONYL regenerated nylon made from old fishing nets and ocean waste.
2) Using eco-friendly packaging options (drawstring bags, hangtags, thank you cards, flyers, etc.)
3) Donating a percent of each piece of swimwear manufactured and sold to beach cleanups in Indonesia as well as the United States.
4) Constantly searching for more ways to run a more sustainable, recycled and eco-friendly business!
5) Personally we also try and live as much of a plastic free lifestyle as we can... but we all know we can always do better and try harder!
PLEASE ALSO BE SURE TO CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES, FAMILY & FRIENDS WHEN AT THE BEACH!!! DO NOT LEAVE ANY TRASH BEHIND!